Sunday 1 February 2015

Diabetes & Exercise

What works for me, might not work for you.

I have done alot of trial and error with exercise since I discovered I had Type One Diabetes.

As many of you would be aware, exercise will lower our blood sugar readings in most cases. Although I have found most cardio activities will lower my blood sugar quick where as weight training and body weight exercises will actually increase my blood sugar.

So I try and structure my workouts approximately 50/50. 50% cardio vs 50% weight training.

When I first started exercising regularly (5-6 days a week) I found I was dropping low almost every single workout. It was extremely frustrating. I just could not get it right. I joined a group of facebook that was directed at Type one diabetics that workout and someone on there suggested I tried working out with no Insulin on board. This was probably some of the best advice I could of ever been given!!!

So I started working out in the mornings, before I had any injected insulin. I use a Pre-workout called C4 Cellulor most mornings, paired with a Banana to help sustain me throughout the workout.

Depending how hard I push myself through the cardio, my blood sugar is usually back down to almost what it was before my workout. Sometimes it might be slightly higher. But since I adapted this way of working out about 5 months ago I have not had one hypo!

As I said what works for me might not work for you, but its worth a shot right? Diabetes can be very unpredictable sometimes and it may become quite frustrating. Try new things, record how it made you feel and what your blood sugars were like during this event/circumstance.

I'd love to hear feedback from other diabetics, about precautions/preparations you go through when you workout!!

Thanks for reading! :)

Follow me on instagram: miss_diabetic_dumbbells

No comments:

Post a Comment