Sunday 8 February 2015

Paleo Apple, Cinnamon & Walnut Muffins


These turned out great! Exactly what I was looking for!
The main reason for baking these was to have something small on hand for when a HYPO attacks so that I don't have to grab for something full of carbs. 
To treat hypos I would usually grab a juice box and have a biscuit. Now I don't have to!

Ingredients:

  • 1 & 1/2 cups of Almond meal 
  • 2 tablespoons of a paleo butter substitute ( I used Nuttelex but you could use Ghee too) melted.
  • 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 handful of chopped walnuts (approx 40grams)
  • 5 tablespoons of natural honey
  • 2 small apples, peeled and grated
  • 3 eggs
  • pinch of salt

Directions:


  1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius
  2. Place the Nuttelex or Ghee into a microwave safe bowl and melt on a low temp
  3. Add grated apple to the bowl, and then the eggs and mix well
  4. Add all remaining ingredients and mix well
  5. I lined a mini muffin tray with patty papers, but you could bake without them.
  6. Divide mixture evenly into each patty paper - this recipe made 36 mini bite sized muffins.
  7. Bake for 10 minutes only, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
  8. Let cool on a wire rack, and enjoy!

Approx Macros (per muffin 1 out of 36):
Calories:44
Fat: 3g
Carbs: 3.4g
Sugar: 2.5g
Protein: 1.4g 

These were a great little snack, to curb that "carb" craving. Even my partner loved them!!! 

Follow me on instagram: miss_diabetic_dumbbells




No comments:

Post a Comment